Title: National Professional Officer
Post Number: 4NPED1000RP
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Recruitment open to: Only Nationals of Nepal may apply for this post
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Annual salary: NPR 2,712,066
Deadline: 25 November 2016
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Head of the UNESCO Office in Kathmandu and UNESCO Representative to Nepal, the incumbent will provide technical and policy advice to the Ministry of Education and relevant partners in order to support the identification, design, implementation, reporting, monitoring, evaluation and coordination of activities and projects carried out under the UNESCO Education Programme. The incumbent will be expected to coordinate a team of personnel in their respective field of education and bring a strong background and capability in policy development and planning. He/she will also be responsible for ensuring UNESCO’s contribution in the field of Education. The National Professional Officer will be expected to perform the following responsibilities:
• Assist the Head of the Office in identifying, designing, implementing and reporting on Programme activities in the field of Education in Nepal within the Education 2030 Agenda and its Framework for Action, as well as the Education Sector’s global and regional strategies and priorities, in order to contribute to building the national and local institutional capacities and priorities towards inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning opportunities for all.
• Provide technical and policy advice to the Ministry of Education and relevant partners.
• Lead the participation of UNESCO in UN Joint Programming exercises in the field of Education within the Common Country Assessments/United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF).
• Articulate and propose strategies for UNESCO’s intervention and assistance in the field of emerging and innovative educational themes, e.g. education for sustainable development (ESD). ICTs for education, global citizenship education and ensure gender mainstreaming in education.
• Develop in collaboration with other Programme Officers interdisciplinary project proposals aimed at consolidating and complementing the activities in Education funded by the Regular Programme budget.
• Formulate resource mobilization partnerships and strategies with key donors and stakeholders. Play an active role in the preparation of fundraising proposals and strategy documents.
• Prepare and submit quarterly/yearly work plans of activities and projects per approved project documents.
• Identify and coordinate policy research activities in Education in Nepal (new emerging and global trends), and contribute to the development of pertinent strategy papers, technical notes, frameworks and documents, articles related to the implementation of the Education 2030 Agenda and its Framework for Action in Nepal.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education. social sciences or in another related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in the areas of education, including the planning, implementation and monitoring of education programmes at the national level.
• Proven experience in programme management. advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to demonstrate discretion and maturity of judgment in the execution of duties.
• Strong knowledge of the education system and relevant education issues of Nepal.
• Demonstrated ability to operationalize programme concepts.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment with external and internal partners.
• Ability to take initiative, establish priorities, coordinate and monitor own work plan. Results oriented approach to completing assigned tasks.
• Ability to work efficiently under pressure and in a multitasking manner, respecting tight deadlines and delivering on the standards required.
• Solid computer skills including advanced knowledge of office software such as Word and Excel.
• Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and Nepali.
• Professional experience acquired in the UN System or other international organization. in the field of education. Skills/Competencies
• Good knowledge of the work and general functioning of UNESCO and the UN System.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in Nepalese Rupees and exempt from income tax. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, pension plan and medical insurance. Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send their application including a motivation letter in English and the complete UNESCO CV form, accompanied by a recent passport size photograph and copies of diplomas indicating the ‘Position Title’ to the following address NOT LATER THAN 25 November 2016
UNESCO Office in Kathmandu P.O. Box 14391 Kathmandu, Nepal
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.