United Mission to Nepal (UMN) is an international development organisation which aims to enable the poorest people living in poverty to transform their lives, leading towards fullness of life. As they serve the people of Nepal, multicultural teams of Nepali and volunteer expatriate staff work alongside local organisations in ten districts of the country, building partnerships that lead to healthy, dignified and empowered individuals and transformed communities.
Position: Programme Officer – Livelihoods (based in Bajhang)
UMN with support from UKAID runs a project aimed at increasing the income of poor farmers through on and off farm practices and vocational skill development in Bajhang and Morang. We are looking for a Livelihoods Officer to play a key role in implementing this project in Bajhang district and to provide technical support to partner organisations in delivering the project objectives.
This position is a part of a multidisciplinary team in UMN’s Bajhang field office. This project is a part of UMN’s Sustainable Livelihoods team which focuses on long lasting improvements in the livelihoods of people in remote rural communities, contributing to a transformation process for some of the poorest people in the country.
Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture with at least two years of relevant work experience;
- Sound knowledge of food security issues in Nepal, particularly in the Mid and Far-Western regions;
- Work experience in sub-sector analysis, value chain analysis, market mapping and rural entrepreneurship development;
- Experience in promotion of income generating activities i.e. fresh vegetable production, fisheries, dairy and other off-farm employment;
- Knowledge of climate change adaptation, livelihood-centered disaster risk reduction and appropriate agriculture technology will be an added advantage;
- Excellent language and communication skills in both Nepali and English; Good computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and database management).
Salaries and benefits will be according to UMN standards.
How To Apply
All interested individuals who meet the minimum qualifications are encouraged to apply for this position. The Job Description and Application Form can be downloaded from our website: www.umn.org.np/vacancy
Completed application forms should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on Wednesday 14 June 2017. Short-listed candidates will be invited to participate in an assessment process.
We especially encourage applications from women and members of marginalized groups.